Friday, February 17, 2012

You gotta Spend money to Save money

Is the lesson I learned today.  At least sometimes this is the case.  Like today, Hubby called to say he was buying a snack to add to his lunch today.. Only $1.50, not a big deal, but he had to do it because I had been putting off going to the store, trying to stick to our Spending Freeze.  However, with $1.50 he spent today for one snack, I could have bought 6 snack bars, lasting him 6 days instead of one.  These little things add up.  So I bit the bullet and went to Winco today.  I chose Winco because we needed a lot of stuff, and there just wasn't the deals I needed at Safeway or Albies, and this shop couldn't wait.  The great thing about Winco, is that on average their prices are cheaper, and I can still use coupons.  I tried to buy things today that I could use to extend what i already had on hand (which isn't a lot).  Like Top Ramen, not something I usually buy but it is cheap, and will satisfy my oldest son's desire for a hot snack or lunch.  I also tried buying rice in the bulk foods section.  I am out of Quinoa, which I use to extend a lot of my recipes, so until I get to Costco again this will do the trick.  All told I spent $56 today, ouch!  I am hoping this takes us close to the end of the month... 

Spending Freeze recap
Day 1 - $0
Day 2 - $10 (drinks with the girls)
Day 3 - $133 ($12 McDonalds, $38 Thai food, $13 Target, $20 Hubs gas, $50 my gas)
Day 4 -  $0
Day 5 -$0
Day 6 - $0
Day 7 - $1.75 (hubby got a snack a work)
Day 8 - $17.20 ($3.20 for meds, $14 for lunch for the boys and I)
Day 9 - $0
Day 10 - $29 ($20gas for hubby's car, $9 pizza after rough hospital visit)
Day 11 - $0
Day 12 - $19 (groceries)
Day 13 - $0
Day 14 - $20.00 (hubby bought my roses for the 1st time in 8 years, so we will let this break in the spending freeze slide :)  )
Day 15 -  $20.00 (gas for Hubby's car)
Day 16 - $0
Day 17 - $57.50 ($56 in groceries, $1.50 for Hubby's snack)

a little over half the month, and we have gone over budget in the going out to eat area, and I have spent more in groceries than I would like, but I am trying to stay positive.  I will admit, there have been days where I feel like I am failing and should just throw in the towel.  But then I remember, each day is a new day, a every little bit helps. 

No comments: